Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gourmand perfumes

Today one of the Italian client came in to the company with a huge plate of colorful cakes and fine bonbons.
At first I thought I again forgot my boss' birthday, but later le Maître Parfumeur came to introduce me to Signor Manzini-Giordano and told me that the desserts were brought directly from the most celebrated pâtisserie in Italy.

At this point my mouth started intensive slobbering and after a tiny hesitation I have chose the raspberry tiramisú with marzipan in the middle of the plate.

I have to say I was rather disappointed to hear that they had asked me to work on making a series of perfume based on the scent of each dessert. My mind started working at 1000% in order to find alternative ways to create those damn perfumes and still being able to take a few bite from each of the delicious looking sweets. But really, I had no time to find out any solutions, I had to start working, because apparently the scent of the desserts are at peak only for the next coming 10-15 hours, therefore I needed to start analyzing them and taking notes immediately.

The whole day I was sniffing the wildest variation of candies, tarts, pies, cookies, creams and chocolates. There were two times in the afternoon when I seriously considered giving my resignation. And there were several times I thought of going to the pâtisserie next door in order to exchange the caramel au beurre sallée. My famous work morale gave me enough force to restrain myself. ( That, and the fact that my office has transparent walls. )

After the longest day of work EVER, I managed to take notes of all the main olfactive accords I would create and carefully grouped them to each planned perfume.

Tomorrow, I will have to start creating the accords and compare them with the desserts. This burdening thought called for a prayer in which originally I wanted to ask for divine strength, but I just ended up begging for one bite from the amaretti mousse. At this moment, Signor Manzini-Giordani (or should I say, the DEVIL itself?!) came to my office and promised to get me another plate of sweets - stricly for eating purposes - once the project is finished.
...Hence I became sure of the existence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment