Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It smells like Aspargus...

Asparagus is tasty and very healthy. ... and it makes you stink for many days!

It was two days ago that I passed to the toilette at my workplace, and I smelled something unmistakable. Somebody have eaten asparagus. I had no doubt, because I recently discovered its special property on my own "skin"...

I don't think I have eaten a lot of asparagus in my life, so I had no idea about its secret attribute until one fine day, about a month ago, I ate some for lunch in my workplace.
Very soon after eating it, I passed to the toilette and just a second after starting pipi I sensed one of the most rank smell ever!
Something very dirty yet detergent like, aggressive, overwhelmingly smother... I instantly bursted out in insulting the cleaning lady, thinking that she had left some scaling products in the cistern for way too long. It was not even an option that this is coming from me...
Later during the day, I went to another toilette on another level, in another building of the company, trying to avoid the stinky one. I investigated the quality of air before entering it, so the moment the sulfurous odour appeared I knew it could only be me. I got surprised, and just hoped nobody will come after me to the toilette for a while. Only 3 days after this event could I pipi in a relaxed way, that much time it took me, until asparagus evaporated from my body.

Therefore, when I detected the "post-aspargus aspect" two days ago as well, I went happily to ask my colleague -who I know is the only one using the same toilette - if he had eaten any recently.
He looked rather puzzled, he answered "Yes, why?".
It passed my mind that maybe I should avoid telling him that his pipi stinks, maybe I should just smile mysteriously and than leave his office, but no, I finally told him the truth.

He replied that he didn't go to the toilette. I really didn't see that coming... Poor him. Him lying made me feeling somewhat pity to him, so I said something like, "No, no I actually like it!" (Hells, yeah! One of my favorites, right? )
He looked really confused by that time, so I continued with "No, but I am not disturbed by it, you can eat asparagus." ( He probably did not need my permission for his future consumptions though... ) He looked even more confused, so I decided to leave his office.

I wish I had just shut up.... Instead of him admiring my clearly amazing olfactory capacities, he probably thinks I am on drugs.

My clearly amazing olfactory capacities now even detect "post-asparagus aspect" without passing to the toilette. Today I crossed an other colleague, and -again, without thinking- I asked him if he had eaten asparagus. He said yes, and I first thought of telling him that he probably peed on himself, but suddenly I understood that in fact, not only your urine is effected by this vegetable but your sweat/skin too.

According to scientists, it depends on the functioning of one gene only in our body, if somebody will have a desagreable urine at all. Supposedly, 100% of the French but only 46% of the English will experience this inconvenience.

Moreover, it is also genetically defined if somebody can detect at all this specific scent. Again, depending on the functioning of one gene only, you might eat tons of asparagus, have a stinky urine and don't even know about it...
Even if my colleagues had such privilege, thanks to me, there is nobody left in the company who eats asparagus without anxiety and guilt from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment