Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A few things perfumers should avoid

It is a continuous debate if perfumers should avoid smoking or not necessarily.

Some say that in order to keep your olfactory system at its best, you have to restrain yourself from not only smoking, but eating fatty or spicy things too. Also, everybody living in Grasse heard already about a certain perfumer who refuses to fill her car's tank because -allegedly- she is afraid that the fuel vapor would damage her olfactory capabilities.

As for me, I am no regular smoker. Not a social one, either. A few times per week, I feel like having a cigarette. It's not its taste. It's not the movement. It's not the nicotine.
Call me stuck in the oral-stage fixation, but I enjoy the thick smoke pressed out from my mouth just to blend unhurriedly with air.
(I think, I do have a blending fetish thing going on: I can look for hours to the concentrated perfume mixing up lazily with the alcohol. I love to see my tea merging with milk, etc )
That blending really worths the risks. And so far, my olfactory capabilities are just getting better and better with time. On the top of that, my MaƮtre Parfumeur is a chain-smoker but he could smell a single drop of the faintest musk from 10 meters far. So, I am not worried about that.

On the other hand, I did realize that eating spicy food alters temporarily my nose's senses. It's more about sharp spices, like cumin and thyme. Any forms of pepper passes perfectly, I even think it actually wakes up my nose a bit!

I was trying to make a research about the alleged harmfulness of fuel on smelling, but so far I didn't find anything scientific, apart from the fact that gasoline vapor -generally speaking- is quite dangerous. If anybody have access to a credible source of information concerning the topic, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment