Monday, November 29, 2010

Olfactive Flashback III.

I have just arrived to home on this unusally cold ( to Grasse ) evening, and in the hall of the building, I felt at my Grandmother's larder again. Although these olfactive flashbacks happen to me more and more, it really amazes me, how can I travel back in time ca. 15 years in just 15 milliseconds?!

In the corridor, where there is nothing but a relatively dirty blue carpet, white walls and the scent of winter coming, I smelled new-laid eggs in the spun wooden basket. I smelled the 100 years old fridge leaking some suspicious brown liquid onto the bordeaux colored floor tile. I smelled the smoked ham hung over the already chilled bread carefully wrapped into a red-white dish towel. I smelled the amazing plum compote ( secret of my Grandma ) in the glass jar, left unopened by my brother.

If only she knew how much olfactive memory I kept unconsciously from around her...
I tried to say thank you to her in my way, last year for her birthday, I created her the most expensive perfume in the whole world. Literally. Half of the formula was pure Bulgarian Rose oil ( putting the price of my concentrate at minimum above 3000 EUR / kg ) and the rest 50% of strictly luxurious raw materials too.

I offered it to her in 30% solution in 96° alcohol, in a bordeaux colored silk organza pouch. That perfume cost more than what she was paid when she had sold her house, with the bordeaux tiled larder.

I would pay even more to have the larder's air bottled.

2 comments:

  1. "Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousand of miles and all the years you have lived." Helen Keller

    ReplyDelete